1 January 2018
SGAC is seeking a volunteer to join our team as Local Events Coordinator. The Local Events Coordinator is in charge of overseeing the development of different national-level events by our National Points of Contact (NPoCs), and acts as the focal point connecting the different team members of SGAC with these events. S/he will have the opportunity to have a direct impact on SGAC activities in different regions. This position offers challenging, rewarding, and professional skill-building experiences. Be a part of leading and shaping the organisation!
Deadline for applications: 25 January 2018
About Local and Thematic Events
SGAC team members have been organising events focused on specific topics or countries for many years now. In 2015, SGAC introduced the SG[country] series of events as its format for local events. In addition, SGAC has regularly partnered with events such as World Space Week, SpaceUp, Yuri's Night and MoonVillage which have started to call thematic events.
The Local Events Coordinator duties are as follows:
- Work closely with the Regional Coordinators and NPoCs to initiate local and thematic events
- Review of proposals for local and thematic events
- Provide support for fundraising of local and thematic events
- Connect events with the PR, web and other executive office teams
- Make sure all local and thematic events are of similar high quality
- Document local and thematic events and create a knowledge base for future NPoCs and RCs
- Support the activities of the Regional Events Coordinator as per workload
- Collaborate with different team leaders (e.g. PR, Webteam, Editors, Treasurer, Strategic Partnerships Team, etc) to support the success of the regional events
- Report directly to the Executive Director about the operational activities related to the local events
- Relay lessons learned from different local and thematic events to the Event Managers
- Attend the Monthly Executive Committee meeting, and other meetings organised by other teams such as the Strategic Partnerships Team
The Local Events Coordinator will sit on the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member) and will also sit on the SGAC Strategic Partnerships Team (Ex Officio).
This is an appointed volunteer position. The appointment will be for 2 year, with the possibility of renewal for additional 2 consecutive years.
The appointment will include a 6-month transition period with the current Local Events Coordinator , Bruno Sarli.
Estimated time commitment: On average 3-5 hours per week
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and below 34 years of age (appointment needs to be made prior to the 34th birthday of the applicant)
- Interest in the space sector
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Good English skills with a keen eye for details
- Good teamwork skills and a high degree of self-organization
- Cross-cultural communication awareness: ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Quick email response time
- Experience with project management and task scheduling
- Familiarity with the SGAC mission and its objectives
- Prior experience with organising events and proposal writing
- Experience with SGAC (either as a team member or as a SGAC event attendee)
Be a part of leading and shaping the organization! Benefits of this position include:
Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
Having a higher chance of receiving SGAC scholarships to attend conferences around the world
Being invited to attend United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space meetings and other conferences as part of the official SGAC delegation
Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
Developing invaluable experience in managing a professional international team
This is a voluntary role and has no monetary compensation. Active members of SGAC teams are considered for nomination for SGAC Scholarships and Awards, including fee waivers or discounts for SGAC event fees.
How to Apply
A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
Your CV with a date of birth and citizenship (maximum 2 pages)
List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role
Use the heading [Last Name - Local Event Coordinator 2018] for your email.
|Application Open||1 January 2018|
|Application Close||25 January 2018|
|Interview of selected applicants||1 to 15 February 2018|
|Announcement of Results||25 February 2018|